Newington College

Young artists ready for Wyvern Biennale

Young artists ready for Wyvern Biennale

Wyvernbald is a Newington portrait competition, similar to the Archibald Prize shown annually at the Art Gallery of NSW.

Year 6 student Hamish Walker, who painted Australian racing driver Daniel Ricciardo, said of the process, ‘I think the painting was fun, and using the new oil paint that I hadn’t used before was really good. All the paint blending and experiments that we did really helped to make my painting a success.’

Wyvern Visual Arts teacher Ms Meredith Buining is impressed with the quality of painting and the variety of subjects portrayed.

‘I am always amazed at the dedication of the boys and the quality of the artworks every year,’ she said. ‘The subject they choose is always interesting and varied.’

The Wyvern Biennale will be open from Monday 17 October to Saturday 22 October at Concordia Gallery. The official opening night is Wednesday 19 October – doors will open at 6.00pm, with awards and prizes from 6.15pm. On Saturday morning the exhibition is open from 9.00am to 12.00pm. Please join us to celebrate our artists from the ELC to Year 6.

This article first appeared in the Autumn 2022 edition of News.