What makes Newington so special is its people.
Start a New Career here
For information about the current recruitment of a new Headmaster for Newington College commencing in 2019 please visit our dedicated website.
At Newington, our boys are at the centre of everything we do. Irrespective of our roles at the College, we see ourselves as equal contributors in providing our boys with an excellent education across a balanced curriculum encompassing the spiritual, academic, cultural, physical and practical areas of learning. Critical to this is quality staffing, a foundation of our strategic plan.
With more than 300 employees across teaching and non-teaching roles, set across 3 campuses, the College provides its staff with outstanding resources, a values driven culture and a commitment to continued professional learning and development.
Learning is at the heart of what we do at Newington and that includes learning opportunities for our people. We want our people to pursue a life long journey of learning and self-improvement. We offer a number of internal and external training opportunities to help our staff progress their careers.
Passion and Collegiality
Newington’s work culture for me is about passion and collegiality. It is amazing how at the completion of every day here, I am able to go home and feel so incredibly supported. Being part of a school full of professionals that are passionate about what they do each and every day makes Newington an incredible place to work - Jessie, Learning Enhancement
“As a former journalist, I was always drawn to storytelling and communicating effectively with others. Teaching both English and Journalism at Newington College has allowed me to draw on my industry knowledge to create dynamic lesson plans and share real-world experiences in the classroom. I feel privileged to work with Newington students and am amazed by their talent, as well as the innovative approach to learning at the College.
“Newington’s work culture for me is all about shared success. Whether it’s in or outside the classroom, there’s a real sense of community and a sense of pride related to both individual and communal achievement. Staff and students are always encouraging and the College fosters an environment that promotes growth, resilience and positivity.” Naomi, English Department
I always say to people thinking of applying to Newington… be prepared to meet some of the most inspiring educators in the industry, and be part of a place that is always buzzing.
A Culture of Sharing
Before working at Newington, I used to work in a small Catholic Year 7-10 boys school. I made the move back in 1989 to satisfy my desire to teach HSC Science. Twenty nine years later, this move was a decision that I have never regretted.
At Newington there is a great culture of teachers sharing their knowledge and resources with each other. I have learnt so much over the years from some of the best Science teachers in the state. The professional development here is real and not a tokenistic ‘tick a box’ exercise. We are regularly challenged to learn and try new things and are never at risk of professionally stagnating.
We are so lucky here, as each day we get to work with boys who are equally hungry to learn and invariably aspire to do well.
My day as a staff member at the College is packed with dozens of interactions with students and staff and usually involves at least one moment – a lesson, a meeting, a call to a parent or just a passing conversation with a student - where I feel I have made a meaningful difference. Despite timetables and routines, no two days are ever the same. The quality of the relationships within the College are outstanding – both within the staff and between the staff and the boys. Days at Newington are sometimes tiring, usually enjoyable and always rewarding - Mark, Philosophy and Religious Studies
Beyond the Confines of Curriculum
At Newington there is a clear focus on our professional development and innovative education. As such, the College has been willing to try new initiatives that provide both staff and our boys with a chance to engage in learning experiences that go beyond the traditional confines of curriculum and orthodox assessment.
The nature of teaching at a school like Newington means that you fulfill a number of different roles that extend beyond the realm of the classroom teacher. On any given day I could be coaching my football team at an early morning training session, helping with the athletics team, attending Professional Learning Groups or assisting in my role as an Officer of Cadets in the Outdoor Education Program. This is all in addition to my job as a History Teacher and Year 10 Mentor.
If you are wanting to apply for a current career opportunity, please note that all applications must be submitted through our online application system.
Before you Apply
- Applicants must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold an appropriate permit to work within Australia.
- Under Child Protection legislation, a current Working with Children clearance is a prerequisite for all employees and volunteers in child-related employment. Newington College requests that applicants provide this clearance with their application. For more information please visit the Office of the Children’s Guardian
Teaching Positions only:
- Applicants must be accredited to teach in NSW and hold a NESA registration number. For more information please visit the NSW Education Standards Authority Website
- Applicants must hold a current first aid certificate, or be prepared to acquire a first aid certificate.
“The success of any school is dependent upon the energy, drive, vision, commitment and professionalism of staff. At Newington our staff are dedicated, passionate, motivated and inspirational individuals who are deeply committed to the values of the College”
The happiness, engagement and job satisfaction of our staff is central to their success at Newington. The College strives to provide our staff with a good work-life balance that enables them to enjoy every facet of their life.
In addition to a meaningful and rewarding career, our staff receive a comprehensive range of benefits which include:
- Competitive remuneration packages
- Options for salary packaging
- Co-curricular payments and clothing allowance
- Tuition fee remissions for sons of staff attending Newington
- Internal and external professional development opportunities with industry leaders
- Tertiary study rebates
- Support for Teacher Accreditation requirements
- Mentoring from some of the best and most respected educators in Australia
- Industry health fund
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Provision of College IT equipment – laptop computers / iPads (subject to roles)
- On-site health centre with full access to a school nurse
- Flu shots and health checks
- Use of College sport facilities which include a gymnasium, pool, tennis courts and sports ovals;
- Subsidised group fitness classes
- Family supportive practices