Latest Results HSC
Newington has recorded six All-Round Achievement Awards in the NSW Higher School Certificate results announced on Thursday, 13 December 2018. Newington's IB Diploma results will be released in early January 2019 and will complete the picture of Year 12 2018's academic achievements.
Six All-Round Achievement Awards
Six Newington boys made the All-Round Achievement lists by receiving a result in the highest band (Band 6 or E4) in 10 or more units of study, an impressive achievement. Congratulations to:
- Raymond Huang
- Joshua Kaplan
- James Knight
- Thomas Papasavvas
- Oliver Smith
- Jeno Suh
HSC Showcase Nominations
Every year, students from across NSW are nominated and selected to be part of a series of HSC showcases and exhibitions.
- ENCORE is a program of outstanding performances and compositions by students from the HSC Music examinations. Newington students Eric Liu, Liam McCausland and Nico Maclean received nominations.
- OnSTAGE is a presentation and exhibition of group and individual performances and projects by HSC Drama students. Nominations for group performance were received by Nick Fitzsimmons, Simon James, James Roach and Ben Taylor for Land of the Free and Josh Bowd, Ryan Dive, Will Dotson and Lachlan McIntyre for #TheSecondComing. Matt Dyster, Andrew Liu and Liam Taylor were placed on the OnSTAGE reserve list selection for group performance for Bath Time.
- OnSTAGE nominations for individual performance were achieved by Simon James for Byck, Andrew Liu for Buzz and James Roach for West.
- Joshua Bowd’s Individual Project (Design: Poster and Promotion) was selected for the OnSTAGE exhibition.
- George Pople’s work In the Dark and Ben Tucker’s Gratitude were considered for inclusion in ARTEXPRESS 2019, an annual exhibition of exemplary artworks created by students for the HSC in Visual Arts.
- Nicholas Jacovides was nominated for possible inclusion in InTech, the annual exhibition of outstanding Major Projects developed by HSC Industrial Technology students.
- Jaison Burgess and Henry Larkings were nominated for Shape 2018, the annual exhibition of a selection of exemplary Major Projects developed by HSC Design and Technology, Industrial Technology and Textiles and Design students.
Vocational and Educational Training (VET)
Our 27 Vocational and Educational Training (VET) boys returned excellent results in courses in Construction, Hospitality, Automotive, Electrotechnology and Financial Services.
Anthony Kama was awarded a VET Excellence Award 2018. This award recognises the best and brightest VET students in NSW based on their efforts in both the classroom and on work placement. Anthony was one of only a few recipients from more than 10,000 candidates.
Newington’s traditional Year 12 HSC morning tea was held in the Old Chapel on Friday, 14 December 2018. It was a wonderful opportunity to share stories, successes and plans for the future.
Top 2 Bands across the Courses
While we celebrate all our successes, we particularly recognise the boys and teachers in courses where over 60% of candidates scored in the top two bands (5 or 6) of achievement in a 2 unit course, or the top band (E4) in a 1 unit course. A wonderful result.
Course and percentage in top bands
- Ancient History – 69%
- Biology – 64%
- Chinese Continuers – 75%
- Design & Technology – 75%
- Drama – 100%
- Earth and Environmental Science – 78%
- Economics – 65%
- Engineering Studies – 88%
- English (Advanced) – 78%
- Geography – 78%
- History Extension – 86%
- Latin Continuers – 100%
- Latin Extension – 100%
- Legal Studies – 68%
- Mathematics Extension 1 – 81%
- Mathematics Extension 2 – 82%
- Modern Greek Beginners – 75%
- Music 1 – 100%
- Music 2 (2 Unit) – 100%
- Music Extension – 100%
- Software Design and Development – 83%
- Visual Arts – 77%
A liberal education equips students with the knowledge and skills necessary to analyse problems, make informed judgements and think broadly. The students who take this approach to subject selections are our high achievers.