About The Application Process
Everything you need to know about applying for a bursary or scholarship at Newington College. Applications for 2021 Bursaries and Scholarships are now open.
How to apply
Applicants should follow the process below.
- Applicants must register via the online application form.
- Gather your supporting documentation, including:
a. A completed printout of this cover page, attached to the front of your portfolio
b. Passport size photograph
c. Copies of your son’s previous two school reports, one of which must be his end-of-year or final report
d. Latest NAPLAN results
d. A personal portfolio, with the attached cover page, including copies of certificates or other proof of academic sporting or other achievements.
3. Send your cover page, supporting documents and personal portfolio to:
The Admissions Department
200 Stanmore Road,
Stanmore NSW 2048
Only hard copy portfolios will be accepted. Please do not email documents.
Submissions after the closing date will not be considered.
Please note: Referee contacts are not required for the initial application process prior to testing.
How bursary and scholarship recipients are decided
Please refer to individual bursaries and scholarships for information about how recipients are decided.
Please read all of the information below before completing the online registration process.
All boys applying for a Newington College bursary or scholarship must sit the bursary and scholarship test. The test is administered by Academic Assessment Services.
Bursary and Scholarship Testing Dates:
Entry into Year 7 in 2021 will be held on Monday 10 February 2020.
Entry into Years 9 and 11 in 2021 will be held on Tuesday 11 February 2020.
Please be advised there will be no make-up test for those unable to attend testing on the given days.
On the day of the test, boys are required to be at the College by 8.15am for a 8.30am start. We expect to finish by 12.30 pm.
Kindly note, an email will be sent by Academic Assessment Services (not by Newington College) to applicants a few days prior to testing. The email will contain information about start and finish times, what to bring etc.
Shortlisting and results
Notification of shortlisting and results
After the bursary and scholarship test:
- Newington College will review each application, considering individual test results together with submitted supporting documentation/portfolio.
- Shortlisted candidates ONLY will be notified by telephone and requested to proceed to interview and/or music audition.
- If you have not received notification from the College by the end of March, your son’s application has not progressed to the interview and/or audition stage.
- During April a letter will be sent to all applicants, advising them of their bursary and scholarship assessment testing results.
Please note the College is not responsible for the return of portfolios after the bursary and scholarship process. Portfolios may be collected from Newington College Reception from Monday 4 May-Friday 15 May.
If your son is shortlisted for an interview as part of the selection process, names and contact details of two referees who would be prepared to speak on your son’s behalf may be requested. Please advise the referees that the College may contact them. For current Newington students a verbal reference will be automatically supplied by the following staff only: Head or Deputy-Head of either their prep school (Year 6) or Head of Stanmore as required.