About The Application Process
Everything you need to know about applying for a bursary or scholarship at Newington College.
Applications for 2020 Bursaries and Scholarships are closed. For entry in 2021, applications will open in November 2019.
How to apply
Applicants should follow the process below.
- Applicants must register via the online application form (for the 2021 Scholarships and Bursaries test, this form will be available in late 2019)
- Gather your supporting documentation, including:
a. A completed printout of this cover page, attached to the front of your portfolio
b. Passport size photograph
c. Copies of your son’s previous two school reports, one of which must be his end-of-year or final report
d. Latest NAPLAN results
d. A personal portfolio, with the attached cover page, including copies of certificates or other proof of academic sporting or other achievements.
3. Send your cover page, supporting documents and personal portfolio to:
The Admissions Department
200 Stanmore Road,
Stanmore NSW 2048
Only hard copy portfolios will be accepted. Please do not email documents.
Submissions after the closing date will not be considered.
Please note: Referee contacts are not required for the initial application process prior to testing.
How bursary and scholarship recipients are decided
Please refer to individual bursaries and scholarships for information about how recipients are decided.
The Newington bursary and scholarship test
All boys applying for a Newington College bursary or scholarship must sit the bursary and scholarship test.
The Newington bursary and scholarship test will be held at Newington College on the following dates:
Boys entering Year 7 2020 – Monday 11 February, 2019
Boys entering Years 9-11 2020 – Tuesday 12 February, 2019
The test is administered by Academic Assessment Services.
Shortlisting and results
Notification of shortlisting and results
After the bursary and scholarship test:
- Newington College will review each application, considering individual test results together with submitted supporting documentation/portfolio.
- Shortlisted candidates ONLY will be notified by telephone and requested to proceed to interview and/or music audition.
- If you have not received notification from the College by the end of March, your son’s application has not progressed to the interview and/or audition stage.
- During April a letter will be sent to all applicants, advising them of their bursary and scholarship assessment testing results.
Please note the College is not responsible for the return of portfolios after the bursary and scholarship process. Portfolios may be collected from Newington College Reception.
If your son is shortlisted for an interview as part of the selection process, names and contact details of two referees who would be prepared to speak on your son’s behalf may be requested. Please advise the referees that the College may contact them. For current Newington students a verbal reference will be automatically supplied by the following staff only: Head or Deputy-Head of either their prep school (Year 6) or Head of Stanmore as required.