Who is eligible?
General academic scholarships are available to boys entering Year 7, Year 9 and Year 11. Current students may apply for scholarships.
What do general academic scholarships cover?
General academic scholarships cover 100 per cent of tuition fees.
How are the recipients of academic scholarships decided?
Academic scholarships are awarded on the basis of:
- demonstrated performance in the Newington scholarship examination
- excellence shown in supporting documentation (school reports, external competition reports, NAPLAN results)
- other qualities that will support a boy to contribute positively to the life of the College
- and then an interview with the Deputy Headmaster and the Deputy Head of Stanmore (Academic).
Applying for scholarships
Applications for 2024 Academic Scholarships are now open.
External candidates who are not current students at the College must apply here.
Internal candidates who are current students at the College must apply here.
All boys applying for a Newington College Academic Scholarship must sit the scholarship test. The test is administered by Academic Assessment Services. Applicants for scholarships will be subject to a financial means test.
Applications for 2024 scholarships will close on Friday 3 February.
Applicants entering Year 11
There are two academic pathways available at Newington for Year 11 Academic Scholarship recipients:
- the NSW Higher School Certificate (HSC)
- the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP)
All boys who are shortlisted for a scholarship will be invited for an interview to explore their own academic interests, their approach to learning and how they will contribute to the exceptional learning environment at Newington.
Current Newington boys entering Years 7, 9 and 11 in 2023 are eligible to apply for academic scholarships.
Boys from Lindfield and Wyvern House preparatory schools should follow the application process.
Please note that the award of Dux of Wyvern K-6 or Lindfield K-6 does not include a scholarship at Newington 7-12.